Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Antietam in Winter

During the Christmas break we took a little day trip to Antietam.  This time I followed the Map of the battlefield and toured the stops on the Auto tour in order. 
We really had an enjoyable, educational day and if you want more information about the battle at Antietam click on this link.

I also found out that on the first Saturday in December they have an illumination memorial where they light a candle for each casualty of that day!  I will definitely be marking my calendar to go this year!!

I just wanted to share a few pictures of our day there....most are of the scenery and I added a little watermark to the pictures...just my name but let me know what you think.

This is the Maryland Monument which pays tribute to both Union and Confederate soldiers from Maryland

This tree was by the Clara Barton Memorial



I believe this is the Miller Farm

Tree in the Mumma Farm Cemetery

The Sunken Road...also known as the Bloody Trail

Burnside Bridge...I could stay and take pictures of this bridge all day!


Antietam National Cemetery

Antietam National Cemetery with "Old Simon" in the background.
The monument text says "Not for themselves but for their country"
 
Bloody Trail

We had a really nice day and even saw a few snowflakes.  I am really excited for the next school break so I we can go exploring some more.
Thanks for looking and I love feedback!

XO
Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment