Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cat in the Hat Baby Shower

I have been asked to make a Cat in the Hat cake for a baby shower.....

So I made a few decorations yesterday to go on the cake.  My friend wanted Thing 1 and Thing 2 on the cake but asked me to name them Boy 1 and Boy 2.....
The couple already have 1 little boy and this new baby is a boy so.......

As I've said before, I really am never certain how these things are going to turn out but I did try to take some pictures of the process

I started with some white and red fondant/gumpaste mix

I put a toothpick in the body and attached the head


Then I made the the arms and legs..... 

Skipped a few steps here but you can see the arms and legs on the little guy......I indent one end of the appendage where it fits to the body.....

Then I made the little Boy 1 and Boy 2 labels and attached them with a little water.....

Now I had to do the hair....these things have really long, sort of spikey hair and I wasn't sure how to achieve that look with fondant SO I made some royal icing.....

And then I drew on the faces with edible marker......although I can't imagine anyone eating these things.....would break some teeth!

I had originally applied the royal icing with a #4 tip but then moved to a #17 star tip.....I liked the results!

Oh say can you see....my little fish in the background!?  I am tickled with the little boys but the FISH.......really turned out cute !!!



And here are all three together.......
I had so much fun making these......I will be sure to post pics of the finished cake.
Let me know what you think! 

Thanks for looking!
Love
Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment