Sunday, October 24, 2010

Funny 50th Birthday Cake

Yesterday I decorated a cake for a 50th birthday party.
The cake was (of course) pound cake with a revised buttercream icing....

I have been having trouble with my basic buttercream keeping its shape and not 'melting'
The basic recipe is yummy....

2 sticks butter ( I use salted)
2 lbs confectioner sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp butter flavoring
and milk to get desired consistency.....
I added 1 cup butter flavor crisco  to the above and it held up wonderfully!
(Usually I would notice a separation in the color and sugar......so the color would look grainy)
But in adding the crisco it held the color and shape wonderfully!!!
So here is the pic.....


I was thrilled with the final product!  Finally got the buttercream to look smooth which is a HUGE accomplishment for me!!

Let me know what you think!!  Oh by the way, the idea for cake was inspired by a cake I saw on http://www.cakecentral.com/   made by aliciawilliams!  That is an awesome website by the way and free to join!  Cake decorators range in experience from newbies to pros and everyone shares tips and techniques!! 
p.s. this is not a paid advertisement :)  


Thanks for looking!!!
Love,
Bronwyn 





1 comment:

  1. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. baby shower cakes los angeles

    ReplyDelete