Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Tradition

Every year for Christmas my mom would make Jewish Apple Cake for Christmas brunch.  Since my mom's death 8 years ago I have made this cake.  The first attempt was disaster as I misread the directions.....still tasted good but the cake completely fell apart. 

It is a bit labor intensive (at least for me....I don't like having to peel and slice apples....but hey, I only make it once a year so I sacrifice for my family!)

Just look at those apples.....waiting to be peeled and sliced....very daunting!!!

So apples sliced and covered with cinnamon and sugar.....they look yummy! 

And then make the cake batter


Then layer the cake mix and the apples in a prepared bundt cake pan.....this one was my great grandmothers. 


And here is the cake before putting it in the oven......


And here it is before it goes into my mouth!!!  YUM! Very much worth the effort it took me to peel and slice those apples!!

So here is the recipe.  I think it was passed to my mom through my grandmother. 


Ingredients
8 granny smith apples peeled and sliced
5 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions
Grease and flour bundt cake pan. Mix sugar, oil, vanilla, OJ and eggs.  Add flour, salt and baking powder.  Layer cake batter and apples in pan, cake mix first, then apples. Repeat and end with cake batter.  Bake for about 1 hr 40 minutes (or until done) at 350 degrees. 

Allow cake to cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting. 
You could sprinkle it with some powdered sugar if you want to but it really is delicious without any extra icing or sugar.

Enjoy!

Love
Bronwyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment