Sunday, September 4, 2011

Toffee Bars

I haven't baked anything yummy lately so I was browsing cook books on my book shelf.  I have many cookbooks but don't always cook from them....
for instance, this Betty Crocker cookbook.....I've probably had it for 5 years or more and have made ZERO recipes from the book!!

So I was looking and found a recipe for Toffee Bars....

Well, I love toffee...and I had all of the necessary ingredients so I thought why not!?  Plus we are going to a cook out later and I can take these yummy bars along so they don't sit in my house and call my name....

My food does that to me sometimes, calls my name....says complete sentences such as "Bronwyn, come have some of me....I am so tasty....so what if you eat too many calories today, you've been doing good and you can always go for a walk/run later"

I know other people hear their food too which is why I haven't sought professional help.

Back to the bars....I gathered my butter, vanilla, flour, salt and brown sugar (I just love brown sugar) and chocolate chips....

Mix the butter, sugar, egg white ( I accidentally used the whole egg...oops)  and vanilla....mix it until creamy and then add the flour and salt

Spread the mixture into an ungreased baking dish and bake

Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top....the recipe called for 2/3 rd cup of chips....but I thought Really!!??  That's not enough chocolate so I just dumped the whole bag on top.

Let the chips soften and then spread them all over the top of the cookie base.

Doesn't that look YUMMY?

The recipe also says you can sprinkle with nuts...that would be tasty but I was also thinking some Heath Bar crumbles would be delish.....Alas, I had neither!

Once cooled enough so I could hold the pan comfortably, I put the whole thing in the refrigerator....I want the chocolate to be hard....

Ok I couldn't wait for the chocolate to harden and had to cut a piece to taste.  Have  I said YUMMY yet in this post.....wow...the base is so buttery and tasty and the chocolate....well is chocolate so enough said...

Recipe...(Adapted from the Betty Crocker cookbook)

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) Butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla
1 large egg yolk (or you could just use the whole egg like I did...)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3rd cup chocolate morsels (I used a whole bag of semi-sweet)
nuts or heath bar crumbles or any variety of items....mini M&M's would be colorful and tasty

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Mix butter, brown sugar, vanilla & egg yolk, add flour and salt and continue to mix until creamy.  Spread the batter into an ungreased rectangular baking pan (13x9x2).  Bake for 25-30 mins.  Upon removal from oven, sprinkle the chocolate morsels on top and when they get gooey, spread them across the top of the cookie base.  Then you can add any topping you would like.

Hope you all have a fabulous Labor Day weekend and to all my Biggest Loser competition......EAT UP!!!


Smiles,
Bronwyn


This post shared on:

2 comments:

  1. I am making these tomorrow ~ I'm thinking that crushed Heath or scor bar will be fantastic on top. And yes, It will talk to me as well. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, these look amazing! Can't wait to make them. I linked to you from Made by You Monday. Making these soon!

    ReplyDelete