Saturday, October 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Cake for Peyton

My cousins daughter Peyton is turning 5 and her dad asked me to make the cake

I made the pound cake (yum) and a new icing....cream cheese decorator icing.
I am hoping it holds together better than the buttercream icing I make.

There was no theme for the birthday so I was free to do my own thing....  uhoh!
I like having some idea of what to do.....
So I googled some birthday invitations and was inspired by one invite....it was of a pink and yellow flower
I changed the colors because they seemed spring/summery to me and this is the end product.....
To make the flowers I made a frozen buttercream transfer

I had a drawing of the flowers and secured a piece of wax paper over my drawing.  I piped the icing to color in the design.  First I did the brown and then the blue or pink.  When that was done, I filled in with the white and then covered the entire design in white and smoothed it down.  Then place in freezer for about an hour and a half.....or up to 24 hrs. 
I found a great tutorial on  this process if you have ???'s  google frozen buttercream transfer.....there is an article from cakecentral.com that covers this process with pics.....
I didn't take pics of this because honestly I didn't think about it.....maybe next time
Here's a closer picture of the buttercream transfers.....

The icing recipe I also found on cake central but I will list it here too.....it's yummy!!

Decorators Cream Cheese Icing

8oz block of cream cheese (room temp)
1 stick butter (room temp.)
1/2 cup shortening
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 pounds confectioner sugar
1/2 tsp salt

.....I also added 1 tsp butter flavor just because I like it......
.....It was very thick without milk so I added a little of that as well.....

Cream together first 4 ingredients (and butter flavor if you so choose) and then add sugar and salt.....Add milk slowly until desired consistency....

Hope you enjoy this as much as I do....Its a little sweet but yummy and so far, holds up very well.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!
Love,
Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment