Sunday, August 21, 2011

Clafoutis

Pronounced "kla-foo-TEE" ...

I found this recipe in my Clean Eating magazine....I think I mentioned before that we are doing a Biggest Loser contest at work and I am really trying to prepare healthier foods...

Well Clafoutis is a French desert...that's about all I know but you can check out this link for a Non-diet recipe which includes a nice blurb about the desert. 

I had a hard time assembling the ingredients for this...I went to all sorts of grocery stores looking for spelt flour....spelt is a grain that is similar to wheat but has grown in popularity because of it's "nutty flavor, high protein and nutrition content"  I got this information from a google search...I really am clueless about Spelt.  If you want to know more check this out.

So as I was saying I went to stores that I thought would have specialty organic items and could not find spelt flour...then one day I went to my friendly neighborhood Mars (which is where I usually shop) and there it was......right there in the baking aisle!!!  Mars didn't have cherries....fresh or frozen so I grabbed a can of cherries that were packed in water....I bet the syrupy kind would have been YUM but I resisted.

So tonight I made Clafoutis....

I added eggs, egg whites, spelt flour, organic cane sugar (recipe called for evaporated cane juice...could not find that ANYWHERE!! so I improvised)

 sea salt, skim milk and vanilla....

Quick story about the vanilla....you are supposed to use almond extract because apparently Clafoutis was traditionally made with cherries that contained the pit....probably hard to eat.  When the Clafoutis baked, the cherry pits emit an almond like flavor...so you're supposed to use almond extract but I wasn't sure I'd like that so I....improvised (again).
 
You add all of those ingredients to a blender and blend :)

Lightly spray a 9 inch oven proof skillet with olive oil spray cooking spray and add cherries and 1 Tbsp of the sugar.

Heat until sugar is melted and then add the blended ingredients...

Bake in a pre-heated oven (425 degrees) for 20 minutes and VOILA!!

Clafoutis!!  Some of the other recipes I saw were sprinkled with confectioner sugar....YUM
I didn't do that and mine was tasty.  I think it would be yummier with a dallop of vanilla ice cream..I mean frozen yogurt :) and/or a spoonful of cool whip.

The recipe adapted from the Clean Eating magazine

2 eggs
2 egg whites
3/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup spelt flour
1/2 tsp almond extract...or vanilla :)
3 Tbsp organic cane sugar (they called for "evaporated cane juice" but I used what I had...the grainy kind)
cooking spray
pitted cherries....about 30 although I didn't count...
1 Tbsp organic cane sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Blend ingredients 1-6 in a blender...put cherries and sugar in a pre-sprayed pan and heat until sugar is melted and then add the blended ingredients.  Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Here's the nutritional information obtained from the Clean Eating magazine...
1/8th of recipe= 74 calories, 1.5 g total fat, 1 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 11 g carbs, 103 mg sodium, 5 g protein and 53 mg cholesterol.
Au Revoir!

:) Love,
Bronwyn

No comments:

Post a Comment